Published On: June 21st, 2021 / Last Updated: August 1st, 2021 / 2 min read /

Approved for Permanent Residence ? You can now travel to Canada as of June 21, 2021

If you are issued a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR), you can now complete your landing in Canada as of June 21, 2021.

The changes were announced today by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) on June 21, 2021. Click here for the full announcement.

Previously candidates who had valid COPRs were not able to travel due to travel restrictions. Now if you have a valid COPR, meaning which is not expired, you can come to Canada to complete the procedure to finally become a permanent resident.

COPR is issued to candidates who have been approved by IRCC to immigrate to Canada. This is usually one of the last steps in the journey of an applicant becoming a Canadian Permanent Resident.  The final step is then to do a landing at a Canadian port of entry or an inland office.

Up until now, due to travel restrictions only candidates who had a valid COPR issued on or before March 18, 2020 were allowed to complete their landing in Canada.


If your COPR is expired, it is advised by IRCC that you do not travel. You will not be allowed to travel with an expired COPR. Usually, COPRs are issued for a maximum validity of a year and are tied to various things specific to your application. IRCC will get in touch with candidates if the COPR has expired, outlining procedures on how to get a new valid COPR.


Like all other Canadian travellers, you will need to follow the quarantine rules and other regulations, when you arrive in Canada.

For more information on detailed requirements refer to the below checklists.

You may be exempt from quarantine requirements, to find out whether you may qualify read here.

Need a hand with your study permit application, contact us today.  Turningstone Immigration Consulting is a full-service Immigration consultancy. Our services are provided by a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC).

We deal in all types of immigration-related applications, like Permanent Residence (PR), Study Permits, Work Permits, PGWP, Visit Visa (Temporary Resident Visas), Super Visa, Family Sponsorships for PR Applications and much more. Contact Us Today.

Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!