Published On: January 22nd, 2024 / Last Updated: January 12th, 2024 / 3.2 min read /

Can You Add Your Spouse After Getting ITA? Your Quick Guide to Navigating Express Entry as a Couple

So, you’ve received that exciting Invitation to Apply (ITA) for permanent residency in Canada through the Express Entry system. Congratulations! Now, you might be wondering, “Can I add my spouse to the application?” The answer is yes, and here’s a quick guide to help you navigate this process without breaking a sweat.

Understanding the Basics:

The Express Entry system allows individuals to apply for permanent residency based on factors like age, education, work experience, and language proficiency. If you’re married or in a common-law relationship, you can include your spouse in your application.

Recalculate the points for the ITA you received.

If you decide to add your spouse you have to recalculate your CRS points, manually, after getting the ITA. The ITA cutoff should be equal to or less than your recalculated points for that particular round of ITA.

For example, when you got the ITA, your profile had 515 CRS points, the cutoff for that round was 500 points. After recalculation, the points should be greater than or equal to 500.

If you want to add your spouse you will have to recalculate the CRS points again taking into factor your spouse’s education, age, language proficiency, and work experience.  After considering all factors, the new CRS points after adding your spouse should be 500 or more. If the recalculated points are below the cutoff for the Express Entry Invitation round, your application will be refused.

After you are sure that you have enough CRS points, you can follow the below steps to add your spouse.

The Steps:

  1. Accept the ITA: Once you receive the ITA, your first step is to accept it within the specified timeframe. This is crucial because it signals your intention to apply for permanent residency in Canada.
  2. Update Your Profile: Within your MyCIC account, update your profile to include information about your spouse. You’ll need to provide details like their education, work experience, language proficiency, and any other required information.
  3. Gather Supporting Documents: Just like with your application, you’ll need to gather supporting documents for your spouse. This may include educational certificates, work experience letters, language test results, and any other documents specified by the IRCC.
  4. Submit the Application: Complete the required forms for your spouse and submit the application along with the supporting documents through your MyCIC account. Double-check everything to ensure accuracy and completeness.
  5. Pay the Fees: Pay the necessary processing fees for both your application and your spouse’s application. The fees can be paid online through your MyCIC account.
  6. Wait for Processing: Once you’ve applied, all you have to do is wait. Processing times can vary, so be patient. You can check the status of your application through your MyCIC account.
  7. Additional Steps if Necessary: In some cases, the IRCC may request additional information or documents. Stay vigilant for any updates in your MyCIC account and respond promptly if any action is required.

Adding your spouse to your Express Entry application is certainly possible and, in fact, quite common. Just follow these simple steps, stay organized, and be patient throughout the process. Before you know it, you and your spouse could be on your way to making Canada your new home. Good luck!

If you’re ever unsure about anything or need help understanding immigration regulations, please don’t hesitate to reach out to a qualified immigration professional for assistance.

You can book a consultation for case-specific queries.

Turningstone Immigration Consulting is a full-service Immigration consultancy. Our services are provided by a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC-IRB).

We deal in all types of immigration-related applications, like Permanent Residence (PR), Study Permits, Work Permits, PGWP, Visit Visa (Temporary Resident Visas), Super Visa, Family Sponsorships for PR Applications, Refusals, and much more. Contact Us Today.

Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!