Immigrate to Canada Through Express Entry - Turningstone Immigration Consulting

Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP)

Last Updated: 28 July 2021

The Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) was started in 2013. This is a unique immigration option for immigrating for candidates who are employed in skilled trades.

What it takes to be eligible for the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)

If one wants to immigrate to Canada, you have to meet the minimum requirements for the program:

  • Language ability test which should be equivalent to a minimum Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 5 (for speaking and listening) CLB 4 (reading and writing) in English or French
  • 2 years of full-time paid work experience in the past 5 years in a skilled occupation classified under the  National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill listed below:
    • Major Group 72, industrial, electrical and construction trades
    • Major Group 73, maintenance and equipment operation trades
    • Major Group 82, supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production
    • Major Group 92, processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators
    • Minor Group 632, chefs and cooks
    • Minor Group 633, butchers and bakers
  • You also must show you have enough money for you and your family to settle in Canada
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will determine the candidates’ eligibility for the Federal Skilled Traders Program based on the above. Candidates are then given a Comprehensive Ranking Score (CRS) and entered into the Express Entry pool. Candidates with the highest CRS are invited to apply for Permanent Residence in Canada.

How the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) works?

Check your eligibility criteria against the above factors. If you meet it, proceed to the next step.
Get a language test for English or French from designated Canadian authorities. Score the minimum CLB5 (speaking and listening) CLB4 (reading and writing)
Create your Express Entry profile on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website.
Wait to receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for Permanent Residence. Once you receive the ITA you can apply for Permanent Residence.