Published On: February 28th, 2022 / Last Updated: February 28th, 2022 / 2.8 min read /

How to Change your Name in Ontario

There can be various reasons you would want to consider a legal name change, marriage, divorce, correcting a spelling mistake in an existing name, if you have only a last name you may consider splitting your name into a first name and last name (yes, this also is considered a legal name change).

Let’s find out what’s needed.


  • You are 16 years of age or older
  • You should be a resident of Ontario for at least 12 months to do a legal name change in Ontario.

Documents Needed

  • If you were born in Canada
    • If Born in Canada, the original birth certificate
  • If you were born outside of Canada
    • Copy of Original Birth Certificate
    • Copy of All Passports held since you came to Canada
    • Copy of Canadian Citizenship Card/Certificate (both sides) or photocopy of Canadian Record of Immigrant Landing or photocopy of Permanent Resident Card (both sides)
  • If you have changed names earlier, Copies of any previous name change certificates

Additional things you will need

  • If part of your documents are in a language other than English or French this will need to be translated into English or French by an authorized translator
  • A person to act as a guarantor who knows you and can sign on the application form attesting that you have lived in Ontario for at least 12 months
  • You will need to get the Statutory Declaration form signed in front of a notary public, this can also be done at a Service Ontario location, not each location offers that service, so be sure to check out before you visit
  • 137$ CAD fee to be paid by credit card, money order or cheque
  • You may need to undergo a “Police Record Check” if needed

How to do the legal name change in Ontario

  • Download the “Application to Change an Adult’s Name“, save it on your PC and fill-up the form
  • Do not sign the “Statutory Declaration Form” section of the application, this has to be signed in front of a Commissioner for taking affidavits
  • If married or in a common-law relationship, Get the “Notice Form” section signed by your spouse or common-law partner
  • If you are 16 or 17 years old and are not married, you need to get the consent of name change from your parent or guardian who has your custody and fill out the “Consent Form” and get it signed
  • Get the “Guarantor’s Statement” section signed by the guarantor

Once you have everything ready you can send the application to

The Deputy Registrar General
Office of the Registrar General PO Box 3000,
189 Red River Road
Thunder Bay ON P7B 5W0

Please make sure you use “Canada Post Express Service” with delivery confirmation so you can track when your package was delivered.

If everything is in order, it will take 6 to 8 weeks, you will receive an “Ontario Change of Name” certificate which will have your old name and your new name. If you were born in Canada, you will also receive your new Birth Certificate

Need a hand with your application, contact us today.  Turningstone Immigration Consulting is a full-service Immigration consultancy. Our services are provided by a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC).

We deal in all types of immigration-related applications, like Permanent Residence (PR), Caregivers, Study Permits, Work Permits, PGWP, Visit Visa (Temporary Resident Visas), Super Visa, Family Sponsorships for PR Applications, Refusals and much more. Contact Us Today.

Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!