Published On: June 28th, 2022 / Last Updated: June 26th, 2022 / 3.6 min read /

Top Reasons for Refusal of a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)

Once international students have graduated from an eligible program at a Canadian post-secondary institution (DLI), they may qualify to apply for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program. We will explore the most common reasons for refusals of PGWP and what you can do next.

The most common reasons why a PGWP is refused:

Part-time Studies – Gap in studies (not including the last semester)
If there is a gap or break in your study, your application will be rejected. These gaps can be due to failing in a course, political strikes, teacher unavailability, financial constraints, and switching schools or programs. You are allowed to study part-time in your last semester only. So, if you have studied part-time in any period before the final semester of your university life, your application will be rejected.

In addition, you must provide the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship, Canada (IRCC), with proper reasons behind the gap in your study. Failing to do so will lead to rejection.

​Expired Study Permit and out of status when applying
Your study permit should be valid and not expire at the time of your application for the post-graduation work permit (PGWP). If it has expired, you must pay a $200 restoration fee and apply accordingly. Failing to do so will lead to rejection.

Outside of the 90-day restoration period (our firm can help)
You are outside the restoration period, hence you cannot apply for PGWP, you are no longer eligible. There may be other options and you may still be able to get a PGWP, contact a professional right away.

Absence of Educational Transcripts
If you do not include your educational transcript from your educational institute, your PGWP will be rejected. Final transcripts not included confirming the “Degree is Conferred” will lead to an outright refusal.

Studied at a non-eligible PGWP school
To apply and possibly get permission for a post-graduation work permit, you need to complete graduation from a PGWP-accepted (DLI). If your institution is a non-eligible PGWP school, your application will be rejected, because you are not eligible to obtain PGWP after completing your studies. Choose your college/university and or course properly, and always consult a professional if you want a PGWP after your studies, it is worth a consultation, than risk your status and eventually PR.

Worked more than 20 hours a week
If you have worked more than 20 hours a week during your study, that is unauthorized by Canadian Immigration (IRCC). Your post-graduation work permit application will likely get rejected for that. Furthermore, working before enrolling in school will also lead to application rejection. (worked more than 20 hours a week during school, worked before school started, or worked while not enrolled in school). Please ensure you always understand the terms of your study permit and never be in breach of these conditions.

An error by Canadian Immigration (IRCC)
Finally, sometimes IRCC and visa officers can make mistakes. This is very unlikely but possible. In cases like that, your application may return rejected. You may apply for reconsideration if you are sure that your application was rejected in error by IRCC. Always contact a professional for advice.

If your PGWP was refused, it is recommended to retain professional help to re-apply to ensure a strong case is made to get your PGWP approved. This is especially important if you have issues with your profile such as a gap in your studies, or have fallen out of status.

After receiving a refusal, not only does your status need to be restored and a sufficient explanation is provided to IRCC to address their concerns. The PGWP re-application must be submitted within a specific time frame, the more you delay getting professional the more it complicates the situation further.

The best solution is to consult professional help to re-apply. Professionals can help in presenting a strong case and application. They can primarily assist with issues such as expired study permits or study gaps.

If you have been refused a Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) or wish to apply for one, please book a consultation to get professional help.

We deal in all types of immigration-related applications, like Permanent Residence (PR), Study Permits, Work Permits, PGWP, Visit Visa (Temporary Resident Visas), Super Visa, Family Sponsorships for PR Applications, Refusals and much more. Contact Us Today.

Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!