The Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is a requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals flying or transiting through Canada. Essentially, it’s an entry requirement that allows the Canadian government to screen travelers before they arrive.
It is pertinent to note that it is applicable for air travel only; it does not apply if you’re entering Canada by land or sea (e.g., driving from the USA or coming by cruise).
Who Needs an eTA?
While Canadian citizens are exempt from obtaining an eTA, several groups do require it, including:
- Visa-exempt foreign nationals
- Permanent Canadian residents
- Individuals from visa-required countries coming to Canada for a transit
It’s best to check the official Canadian government website to understand if your specific nationality requires an eTA.
The following travellers need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to board their flight to Canada. However, these travellers do not need an eTA if entering by land or sea – for instance driving from the U.S. or coming by bus, train, or boat, including cruise ship.
- British citizen
- British National (Overseas)
- British overseas citizen (re-admissible to the United Kingdom)
- British overseas territory citizen with citizenship through birth, descent, naturalization or registration in one of the British overseas territories of:
- British Virgin Islands
- Cayman Islands
- Falkland Islands (Malvinas)
- Pitcairn Island
- Saint Helena
- Turks and Caicos Islands
- British Subject with a right of abode in the United Kingdom
- Brunei Darussalam
- Czech Republic
- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China, must have a passport issued by Hong Kong SAR.
- Israel, must have a national Israeli passport
- Republic of Korea
- New Zealand
- Papua New Guinea
- Romania (electronic passport holders only)
- San Marino
- Solomon Islands
- Taiwan, must have an ordinary passport issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Taiwan that includes the personal identification number
- United Arab Emirates
- Vatican City State, must have a passport or travel document issued by the Vatican.
How to Apply for an eTA
The application process is quite straightforward, and here’s a simplified guide to help you:
- Prepare Your Documents: You’ll need a valid passport, a credit or debit card, and an email address.
- Apply Online: Visit the official IRCC website to fill out the online form.
- Receive the eTA: In most cases, approval is granted within minutes, although it’s recommended to apply at least a few days before your travel date. You will receive a confirmation email once it’s approved.
How Long is the eTA Valid?
An impressive aspect of the eTA is its validity period, which extends up to five years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first. This allows you to fly to Canada on a whim without going through the approval process each time, as long as your eTA is valid.
eTA: Cost-Effective and Simple
Another perk of the eTA is its affordability. As of now, the application fee stands at a mere 7 CAD, making it a cost-effective option for travelers. The process is designed to be hassle-free and efficient, bringing you one step closer to your Canadian adventure without burning a hole in your pocket.
What If You Face Issues?
Although the process is streamlined, if you encounter issues while applying, there’s assistance at hand. You can reach out to the Canadian immigration services to solve problems and get answers to your queries.
Securing your eTA is your ticket to a seamless and exciting Canadian journey. A minimal fee, a simple online process, and a long validity period make it a traveler-friendly requirement. Just remember to check its status before you book your flight to the scenic landscapes of Canada.
If you need help applying for an eTA, please don’t hesitate to reach out to a qualified immigration professional for assistance.
You can book a consultation for case-specific queries.
Turningstone Immigration Consulting is a full-service Immigration consultancy. Our services are provided by a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC-IRB).
We deal in all types of immigration-related applications, like Permanent Residence (PR), Study Permits, Work Permits, PGWP, Visit Visa (Temporary Resident Visas), Super Visa, Family Sponsorships for PR Applications, Refusals, and much more. Contact Us Today.