Published On: November 6th, 2023 / Last Updated: November 7th, 2023 / 3.1 min read /

What options do I have after PGWP expires?

So, you’ve spent some good time in Canada on a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) and now you’re thinking, “I kinda like it here…what can I do to stay longer?” Don’t worry! Here’s a simple rundown of your options without all the legal jargon.

  1. Become a Permanent Resident (PR) through Express Entry:
    • What’s that? Express Entry is like Canada’s way of rolling out the red carpet for skilled workers. You get points for things like age, education, and work experience. The more points you have, the better your chances of getting an invitation to apply for permanent residency.
    • How to? Get your documents ready, take a language test, and then throw your hat in the ring by creating an online profile. Keep your fingers crossed and hope you get selected!
  2. Provincial Nominee Program (PNP):
    • What’s that? This is where specific provinces in Canada say, “Hey, we like your skills! Come stay with us!” They can nominate you for permanent residency.
    • How to? Check out the criteria for the province you’re interested in. Each one has its own set of rules. If they like what they see, you could be on your way to becoming a PR.
  3. Consider going back to school:
    • What’s that? Maybe you loved your time studying in Canada and want to further your education. Another degree could get you another study permit.
    • How to? Look into colleges or universities that interest you. Secure an admission and then apply for a study permit.
  4. Extend your work permit through an employer:
    • What’s that? If you have an employer who loves your work and wants you to stick around, they might offer you a job on a more permanent basis. This could get you a different type of work permit.
    • How to? Talk to your employer about this possibility. If they’re on board, you’ll need an official job offer and then you can apply for a new work permit. Your employer may also need to do an LMIA application.
  5. Look into family sponsorship:
    • What’s that? If you have a spouse in Canada or would-be spouse in Canada who are permanent resident or citizen, they might be able to sponsor you to stay.
    • How to? Sit down for a family chat and see if this is an option. If so, there’s a process to go through, but family could be your ticket to staying put!
  6. Bridge Open Work Permit (BOWP):
    • What’s that? If you’ve applied for PR through Express Entry or any other PNP Program or other PR Programs too, and are just waiting for a decision, this permit lets you keep working while everything gets sorted out. Not all PR programs offer BOWP, though.
    • How to? You’ve got to be in Canada, have a valid work permit, and have applied for PR through Express Entry or PNP Programs or other PR Programs too. If those boxes are checked, you can look into the BOWP.

Remember, immigration rules can be a bit like Canada’s weather—ever-changing. So, always double-check the latest guidelines or chat with an immigration consultant to get the latest scoop. Good luck on your journey, eh? 🍁

If you’re ever unsure about anything or need help understanding immigration regulations, please don’t hesitate to reach out to a qualified immigration professional for assistance.

You can book a consultation for case-specific queries.

Turningstone Immigration Consulting is a full-service Immigration consultancy. Our services are provided by a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC-IRB).

We deal in all types of immigration-related applications, like Permanent Residence (PR), Study Permits, Work Permits, PGWP, Visit Visa (Temporary Resident Visas), Super Visa, Family Sponsorships for PR Applications, Refusals, and much more. Contact Us Today.

Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!